SMRTL’s testing process is governed by established operating procedures certified by WADA and the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). The major elements of the testing process meet strict forensic standards for legal acceptability. For each urine sample this includes:
- Receipt—all samples are delivered to SMRTL via courier and accessioned through strict chain of custody procedures into our Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS).
- Preparation—the samples are aliquotted and prepared for analysis.
- Initial Analysis—each sample is analyzed for the presence of various banned substances.
- Confirmation— presumptive positive findings are verified thorugh a seperate, compound specific analysis.
- Reporting— all results are reported to the appropriate authority using SMRTL’s secure web portal or other preferred method.
For blood samples, the receipt, preparation and reporting steps are comparable to the process for urine samples. However, the analysis and confirmation steps are typically a single stage process using applicable instruments.